Importance of silica sand for artificial turf
Silica sand is a very important component for artificial turf, even in the new generations of artificial turf that are already manufactured with crimped fibre infill, the silica sand is a very important component for artificial turf, and it is also used in the new generations of artificial turf that are already manufactured with crimped fibre infill. silica sand is an element of great importance at the time of installation.
The synthetic turf with sand infill mainly fulfills four functions:
- The silica sand ballast in artificial turf is part of an established system to anchor the surface.
- Its function is to support the grass fibres so that they remain vertical.
- The silica sand acts as a thermal insulator, as artificial turf becomes warm in the heat.
- Dilations and contractions are regulated by temperature changes.
- It acts as an insulator for the backing, as the base is not fireproof.
The artificial grass with sand infill is highly recommended for high traffic areas, gardens with pets or gardens where football is played regularly.
Depending on the artificial turf model and taking into account its height and the density of its fibres, this type of infill can be omitted.
That is to say, if we have a 60mm high artificial turf with a medium density, sand infill is highly recommended.
If, on the other hand, we have a 35mm model and a high density of monofilament fibres plus crimped filler fibres, this type of sand filler could be omitted.