Silica sand for artificial turf
Ballasted some models for gardens and terraces with silica sand for artificial grass is important for the following reasons:
- It gives more support to the fibers. The silica sand works like when we bury an umbrella on the beach, the fibers are more stable to be with a layer of sand between them.
- Increased comfort. Silica sand provides a better feeling when walking on the floor. artificial turf and reduces and completely eliminates turf crunch when installed on an aggregate base.
- Limits the thermal sensation generated by the lawn when exposed to high temperatures. Silica sand works as a thermal insulator, if the grass is also watered. artificial turfThe artificial turf, which is very humid, allows us to lie down on the artificial turf without any problems.
- This type of ballasting is a complement to the grass models with basic characteristics. For high-end models and densities higher than 18,000 stitches, this addition of sand can be dispensed with.
Hire our technical service for your project.
The models of artificial turf that already come with a curly fibre infill. For example, the straight fibres are made of polyethylene (PE) and the crimp is also made of polyethylene (PE), but there are many times that the crimp is made of another material such as polypropylene (PP).
This infill works well to keep the fibres vertically straight. Still, provided that the density and composition of this infill curly is basic, it is recommended to ballast with silica sand artificial turf. Even if it comes with this infill of curly fibers, with the sand, we will get a more stable surface and more comfort.
The ballasting of silica sand on artificial turf can be done in several ways:
- With a special trolley for spreading silica sand
- With your hands directly from the sandbag and "throwing" the sand horizontally on the lawn.
- Empty the sand into a wheelbarrow and spread it with a shovel.
After the synthetic grass has been ballast with silica sand, it should be brushed with a long bristle brush, the typical sweeper brush. This will make the sand as uniform as possible on the carpet.
It is possible that due to the effect of friction, at some point the sand is visible on the surface, this is eliminated by simply watering the artificial turf a little.
The ballasting with silica sand on artificial grass in gardens and terraces is only necessary on the day of installation. It will not be necessary to return to provide this aggregate except for some specific maintenance work.
For the ballasting of artificial sports turf (football fields, paddle courts) it will be necessary to carry out periodic maintenance. The levels of silica sand and rubber should be checked and replaced if necessary.
Contact us to contract the installation of artificial grass in your garden or terrace or for your sports field as well as for maintenance.
Request our Technical Service here