We answer here the most frequently asked questions and doubts about artificial grass.
How to clean artificial turf?
While the question encompasses a wide range of possible stains, we attempt here to cover the most common ones.
- Animal and pet faeces and urine. Simply remove it and apply soapy water. If the odour persists, you can use a non-abrasive bleach or a special cleaning product for cleaning artificial turf
- Rust stains. Likewise, if the stain is recent, soap and water. If the stain has not been cleaned for a long time, it may not come out and a "lawn patch" may have to be made. You can try a rust-removing product that does not contain abrasive agents.
- Leaves, pine debris. Leaves and pine debris can be collected with a blower or sweeping brush. You can also use a conventional leaf rake.
- Food stains. Soap and water for sauces and grease removers for oils and fats.
- Paint stains. If the stain is recent and the paint is wet, a damp cloth may be sufficient. If the stain has already dried, you can apply a stain remover without abrasive agents and rub with a small brush and remove the remains with a damp cloth.
- Dust. With occasional watering or vacuuming (if the artificial turf in your garden is not of the silica sand infill type with more than 10kgs per m2).
- Mould. With a sweeping or cleaning brush with a high bristle density and hardness. You can also buy one of the new special brushes for the cleaning and maintenance of artificial turfl available in store.
Tips: Applying pressurised water with pressure machines may weaken the fibres of the artificial turf if left for a long time in one place.
Artificial turf and insects?
Artificial turf by itself, is not a material that attracts or facilitates the spread of insects. However, there is always a possibility that under this pavement, can generate an ecosystem that facilitates the emergence of insects. To solve this problem, insecticide products can be applied to eliminate them. It is advisable to avoid spilling food and sugary drinks on the artificial grass, which tend to attract insects and other animals more quickly.
Does artificial grass retain heat or reflect sunlight and heat?
Depending on the type of artificial turf and the type of installation, it will heat up to a greater or lesser extent, but it will always retain the sun's heat. Remember that it is a synthetic pavement made of plastic and exposed to adverse weather conditions.
It is important to avoid placing the artificial turf next to a glass wall, under a glass table or expose it to any object that can make the magnifying glass effect. The magnifying glass effect on synthetic grass causes the fibers to melt and deform.
How to remove or collect artificial turf?
It depends on the size of the surface and the type of installation. If it is a sports field, you will need machines and specialized personnel to make the removal and pouring correctly.
If it is a garden, try to roll it up for transport and reuse according to the strips that have been installed. That is to say, roll it up according to the format in which it has been supplied, widths of 2 or 4 meters.
Roll it up and protect it with a plastic film, it will protect it in case of renovation works.